Depression is currently the leading cause of non-fatal disability in Australia. Depression can be as serious and debilitating as a life-threatening, severe physical illness. Understandably, it affects thinking, feeling, and behaviour, seriously disrupting life. Symptoms of depression, elements of depressed mood can include:
- Poor concentration,
- Poor memory
- Weight issues
- Negative emotions like anger and irritability
- Diminished sex drive
- Diminished interest in hobbies
- Relationship issues
Depression symptoms can involve intense negative rumination and little positive future expectations. As a problem, depression has a global impact with over 350 million people worldwide identified as living with depression.
The symptoms of depression are maintained and deepened by attributes such as:
- Avoidant coping and problem-solving style
- Negative thinking style – experiences are filtered so as to mostly have a negative meaning / outcome, whether that is actually true or not.
- Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness
- Black and white thinking
- Inability to take action
- Self-medicating with alcohol or other substances
- Withdrawing from others and isolation
- Excessive rumination – endlessly reliving and thinking about the past and negative experiences – real or imagined
- Over-analysing present experiences, to the point of mental exhaustion which is sometimes called paralysis analysis as it prevents useful action being taken
When people come to us, we get to work on building the skills that will support greater connection to personal resources. We break down the barriers that prevent you from living a full and satisfying life. We help you challenge the assumptions that hold unhelpful patterns in place, break those behavioural tendencies that no longer serve, and assist you in creating the lasting change you deserve. Greater effectiveness in defeating symptoms of depression can begin by doing one small thing just a little differently. Breaking the cycle and starting on the road to recovery is much easier than you might thing – a simple phone call will get you started! Call today on 1300 822 316 or contact us via email
Check out what else we can do for you at the Bondi Hypnotherapy Clinic.